Thank you for registering for Pacific Learning Academy’s SAT/ACT Diagnostic Test!
You’ll receive a confirmation email shortly outlining location, time to arrive, and what to bring.
The SAT/ACT Diagnostic Test helps students pinpoint which test best shows off their skills and then, via a 9-page follow-up report, the exact area(s) of study that should be prioritized while prepping for the exams. This leads to less stress, more efficient studying, and the freedom to choose whether or not your child even needs tutoring.
A PLA representative will arrange a 15-minute phone call with you and your child (recommended) to discuss the results approximately 1 week after taking the test.
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds for a scheduled diagnostic exam, but we do realize that life happens and some students may find it impossible to take the exam when originally scheduled. Please call the office and leave a message by 1:00 pm the day before the exam if your child will not be able to attend. We will be happy to reschedule the exam for another test date. Last-minute cancellations (after 1:00 pm the day before) will be considered for rescheduling on a case-by-case basis.
Did you know?
- Historically, 70% of students have done better on either the SAT or ACT.
- The new SAT has moved to become more similar to the ACT, but there are still many differences.
- In just one test families will know which is best for their child.
- Your 9-page report includes an in-depth analysis of strengths and weaknesses in each subject.
- Save time and money by using your results to target only the skill areas your child needs for the test that best matches their abilities.
- Every 4-year college in the USA accepts either the SAT or the ACT. That has been true since 2007, when the ACT included a writing section. If you’re curious, you can check out the averages for the SAT or ACT at the colleges your child is most interested in. They will give your family an idea of possible goals scores before you get started.
The SAT changed in 2016
- As you may have heard, the College Board (makers of the SAT) updated their test in 2016 to one that is a bit more similar to the ACT. The PSAT (offered in October at all area schools) was the first glimpse of the possible changes, and www.KhanAcademy.org has partnered with the College Board to offer supplemental materials and practice sections online. Your child should register for a free account (even before taking the diagnostic, if they’d like) as all practice and programs on Khan Academy are completely free.
- Students who take the current Pacific Learning Academy diagnostic comparison test should know that we are prepared! Our Diagnostic has been fully updated and provides an excellent comparison for students wondering how they might do “on the right thing.”
What do we do after the Diagnostic?
Most Diagnostics are held on Saturdays. We typically have the diagnostics graded and ready to send back to you via email by the following Thursday. We are ready for a 15-minute phone call by Friday, and can also schedule times over the weekend or the following week to chat about the results. We’ve found that it’s best to have the student on the line as they have questions that parents haven’t thought of! If we’re unable to find a convenient time to talk by phone, we’ll send you an analysis by email (but find it best to chat by phone whenever possible).
For students taking the Diagnostic through their school’s PTSA fundraiser, you will receive your report via an email that will include a link to a video explanation of the report. If you have questions after viewing the video, or you would like to explore SAT/ACT options at the Academy, you can contact our office!
If you’re working with a college consultant, you’ll want to share your results and discuss what they mean to your child’s college choices. Your college consultant may have more options for you, or want to talk about realistic expectations. The most important thing your consultant can do for you is guide you in a realistic GOAL SCORE expectation. We highly recommend you have a goal score in place even before you start test prep.
Pacific Learning Academy’s prep programs are just like tutoring (no additional fees). We work 1-on-1 with students specifically in the areas that their diagnostic results call out, meeting once a week as a minimum, and assigning homework between lessons. Some students see us for just a few hours before they take “the real thing” and then continue on until they are happy with their scores. We do NOT have a canned program or a minimum number of lessons. Whether your child needs 4 or 14 hours, we are here for you. Here is our process:
- An Academic Coordinator (AC) will chat with you by phone to make sure we are a match for your child’s needs.
- The AC will visit your home for a short initial meeting to hear more about goals and also to meet your child. We 100% guarantee you like your tutor, so we consider this (no charge) step crucial to making sure this is a great fit for your child and family.
- The AC will then match your family with an Academy tutor and set up the day/time and location with your help.
- After the first lesson, the AC will check to make sure the lesson went as expected and that your child felt happy and motivated.
Thank you so much for signing up for the Pacific Learning Academy SAT/ACT Diagnostic test. Please let us know if you have any questions!